Friday, August 13, 2010

Reviewing Available Lesson Plans


I am very excited to incorporate some of the materials and lesson plan ideas from Lift Ev'ry Voice. Lesson One is particularly rich in primary and secondary sources I can use in my review unit. It has been years since I have read Uncle Tom's Cabin, but I would like to expose students to it. After all, this is an important work of literature (America's first best-seller).

In contrast to Uncle Tom's Cabin, which is a secondary account of life as a slave written by a white woman, slave narratives are a primary source. In the past, I've used Frederick Douglass in my English class. Now as a history teacher, I will incorporate the excerpt from Solomon Northrup. I will also ask students what they know about the day to day life of slaves (stressing that there was not just one typical slave existence).

I looked for voice threads I could use that featured photos/illustrations of slaves. I did not find one that knocked me off my feet, so I think i will create one. This will allow me to incorporate more primary sources into my lesson plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment